Torqueedo - in English

Keskustelua H-veneen varustelusta ja kunnostusprojekteista

Moderator: Kristian

Bob

Torqueedo - in English

Post by Bob »

I live in the U.S. and sail a 1980 H-Boat. I am considering buying a Torqueedo Travel 1003 for auxiliary power. There are very few H-Boats in the U.S., consequently I wanted to ask if any of you use a Torqueedo, and if so, what has been your experience.

I apologize for posting in English, but I don't know Finnish.

Thank you

Google suomalainen kieli:
Asun Yhdysvalloissa ja seilaa 1980 H-vene. Olen aikeissa ostaa Torqueedo Travel 1003 lisätehon. On hyvin vähän H-veneitä Yhdysvalloissa näin ollen halusin kysyä jos joku teistä käyttää Torqueedo, ja jos on, mitä kokemuksia teillä on.

Pahoittelen lähettämistä Englanti, mutta en tiedä Suomi.

Kiitos

Re: Torqueedo - in English

Post by 306 »

Bob wrote:I live in the U.S. and sail a 1980 H-Boat. I am considering buying a Torqueedo Travel 1003 for auxiliary power. There are very few H-Boats in the U.S., consequently I wanted to ask if any of you use a Torqueedo, and if so, what has been your experience.
Hello Bob,

Good to hear that "we are getting international" with this site!

I'm writing based on what I've heard from one of our subscribers, so this isn't quite first hand.

There was at least one attempt with an electric motor such as you mentioned but as far as I heard, it wasn't quite up to the job. The fellow didn't give up that easy and put two of them side by side, but I suppose the whole thing was neither cost-, power- nor electrically efficient compared to a regular outboard. I think H-boats weight is on the top of the weight range for the electric motors, so I suppose the power consuption is quite heavy. This was around 2010 or so, so I'm not sure how the development has been since.

According to what I read from torqueedo website, the motor can be compared to a 3hp regular outboard. At least here in Finland we would consider that rather weak, as we use them mainly in our marine conditions in the archipelago. My outboard is 4hp and I can use it up to nearly 10m/s headwind as long as the waves permit it. On the other hand, I might use it a whole day on longer cruises if there simply is no wind. This would require some mighty battery if the motor was electric and an access to power grid to charge it for the next day.

But, there sure are advantages to having a light motor on the boat. H-boats tend to tip when using regular 4hp+ outboards bacause of the weight set at the stern of the boat. So, in case you only need the aux power for driving in the harbour and out from it rahter than cruising, I'm sure the elecric motor works fine. Going out in the waves and distances changes the situation to worse. Especially then you ought to have the long rig version of the engine (i.e. the propeller should be at least some 30cm/1 foot in the water).

I hope this helps.

It would be great to hear more about H-boat(s) in the states these days. Do you have any sort of community, where about the boats are located, how they perform in comparison to the local ones, how does the sailing community see them etc.? I wouldn't mind hearing more in plain English, so no need to be a stranger because of that. I'm sure we can start one section in the forum in English as well if it seems that the H-boaters out there find these tips and experiences helpful out there where the H-boats are fewer.

Anyways, keep up the good work and may the winds be kind,

Re: Torqueedo - in English

Post by 306 »

306 wrote: Hello Bob,
Seems like the "development just keeps on developing" as a famous Finn put it:

PBO story about the new Torqueedo engines on bigger boats.

Pretty impressive video of the new Hanse 315 with Torqueedo rudder drive.

An outboard manouveribility for yachts! Looking at these I would be surprised if these engines couldn't move our 1,5tn boats.